Writing Wednesdays

Writing Wednesdays

Just Do It

By Steven Pressfield | Published: January 5, 2010

Nike made a slam dunk with its “Just Do It” campaign. Years old, yet it is still encouraging people to get moving. Do something.

Mark McGuinness hit it home with his recent post up on Lateral Action, where he reminds us:

A creative person is a person who creates things.

You either create something or you don’t. Period.

Common sense, right? Yet how many people still hang with the “Just Think About It” failed slogan instead?

I’ve started the blog off this year with a Q&A with William S. “MAC” McCallister. He’s in the “Just DO It” camp.

Whether you are a soldier or a Marine adapting strategies in Afghanistan, or a school teacher wanting to engage her class, or an aspiring writer wanting to write, just DO IT.

Spend 2010 creating, moving into the “Just DONE It” camp.

Posted in Writing Wednesdays

11 Responses to “Just Do It”

1. January 5, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Exactly!

2. January 6, 2010 at 2:38 am

Thanks Steven. I have a well-thumbed copy of The War of Art on the shelf above my desk as I type this, so I’m delighted my piece struck a chord for you.

3. January 6, 2010 at 4:41 am

Just do it – I do it by taking tiny baby steps every day – step by step I move into the “Just DONE It” camp.
    Thanks, Steven as always.

4. January 6, 2010 at 8:24 am

That’s definitely my 2010 goal! I got a (friendly? haha not really) reminder of that this morning when I was driving to work and saw this vanity plate: DO OR DIE

Harsh, yes, but in a way, I was glad to see it. Because if I’m not really going to work towards my dreams, then I’m not really living.

5. January 6, 2010 at 8:49 am

Get back on that keyboard – another day in paradise !!

6. January 6, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Thanks for the push. Wishy-washy is SO 2009.

7. January 6, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Mr. Pressfield, I’ve just finished reading “Killing Rommel”, a book that brought tears to my eyes in one or two places, especially the epilogue.
    I want to say that I really enjoy your writing style; in particular your excellent use of present and past tense to immediately clue the reader as to who/what/when. Your use of present tense gives an immediacy to the book, and your use of first person gives the reader intimacy with the story.
    I used present tense in my own last novel and was somewhat gratified to find my present tense/first person narrative similar in many ways to yours. I’m the editor of Andrew Mowatt’s excellent novel about the Great War, “Severed Branch” and I love the genre you write in.
    I’m certainly going to buy and read your other novels now.
    More power to your elbow, sir!

8. January 6, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Thank you for this … great quote from McGuinness. “Just Think About It” is a really manipulative bugger. I’m going to call it out for what it is … Resistance!

9. January 6, 2010 at 9:26 pm

It is really very helpful information for me and this region has been difficult to accept especially since we tend to favour centralization and governing from the centre.

10. January 8, 2010 at 10:05 am

I did a Just Do It email course for my clients a couple of years ago – This year I’m swallowing my own medicine – So simple and yet sometimes so hard…… Thanks for your inspiration always…..

11. January 8, 2010 at 11:39 am

I’m starting to use Writing Wednesdays as an incentive.

Get the work done, THEN read Writing Wednesdays.

Sometimes, like today, I don’t get here till Friday.

Always look forward to these, Steve.