Writing Wednesdays

Writing Wednesdays

“Help!”

By Steven Pressfield | Published: February 17, 2010

Friends of Writing Wednesdays, I’d like to ask for your wisdom and feedback. I’m taking a little survey, and you can be of real assistance to me if you’d answer, in the Comments section below, some of the questions I’d like to pose to you. (It’ll be my pleasure to send a signed copy of The War of Art to the half dozen commentators whose advice is most helpful.)

The original "silver bullet" hardcover from Rugged Land Books

The original "silver bullet" hardcover from Rugged Land Books

Here’s the issue. I’m thinking about writing a follow-up to The War of Art. Sort of a War of Art 2.0. Some things I’d like to know from your perspective are:

1) Would you be interested in such a book? (Tell the brutal truth; don’t be kind.) Would you consider buying it?

2) In what ways would such a book be most helpful to you? As a motivational aid? A kick in the butt? For further insights on Resistance? On professionalism? Something else?

I have my own ideas on these issues, but it would help me a lot to hear what you think.

3) If War of Art 2.0 could be exactly what you want, what would it be? If it had three main sections, what would they be? If the book could deliver a specific feeling as you closed the final page, what would that feeling be?

5) Does it matter to you if the book comes out in hardcover? (It doesn’t to me.) Would paperback be just as good? What if it was released as an eBook that you had to download and print out–is that worthwhile or a pain in the butt?

I’m thinking of constructing the book so that it could be read on an iPad–in other words, including video or links along with the text. If you were reading it on an iPad or other such device, what type of videos would you like to see included?

How about personal stuff? When I write, in Writing Wednesdays, of various personal struggles and challenges that I’m dealing with, is that helpful to you or does it get in the way?

Thanks, you guys. I hate surveys as much as the next man, so I appreciate anyone who takes even a couple of minutes to respond to this.

And anybody under thirty who has some brilliant web-based marketing strategies … I’m all ears!

Back to real Writing Wednesdays next week. Thanks!

Posted in Writing Wednesdays

92 Responses to ““Help!””

1. Jasvir Samrai
    February 17, 2010 at 1:51 am

Dear Mr Pressfield
    To answer the question should there be another book stemming from the War of Art? The answer is a strong yes. My evidence and conclusion are based on a number of beliefs that requir no evidence, in my view. They are:
    1. The humility you have shown by asking if another book should exist.
    2. The gift you have already provided to many I’m your clarity, responsiveness and respect to something larger than yourself.
    3. With all due respect you have noright to say no to another book because it is not yours in the first place. It is, like the War of Art, another gift given to
    Humanity streaming through you.

It was not my intention to be so
    Phylosophical, but sometimes the extraordianary cannot and should not require any explanations.

With kind regards
    Jasvir Samrai
    An individual who has been entrichef by what you have had to offer.

2. Annette Mencke
    February 17, 2010 at 6:16 am

Dear Steven,
    I can’t resist your invitation so here are my thoughts and comments.
    I think the most important thing is the intention behind any project. Lots of “follow up projects” e.g. movie films fail to live up to the original e.g. in music its called the “Second Album Syndrom” (which statistically do worse than the debut album).
    I loved your debut book and I think the way to make the follow up a success is to add another dimension to it. To answer your first question, absolutely would I be interested in such a book. I have always viewed your Writing Wednesday blog as the follow up and as a way of staying connected to the core message of that book. If I could add anything to this book it would be comments from other successful people e.g. Fashion designers who have to put on a new collection for each season. Script Writers who have been commissioned to write e. g. a film adaptation. In short successful people who had their lucky break. In sharp contrast you could ask aspiring artists and then draw comparisons. What are successful people doing that aspiring people are not but ought to do. I think real practical examples would make fascinating reading.
    To answer your 2nd question: for me reading a follow up book would be motivational and further insights to resistance (which would obviously include the great distraction opportunity the Internet / emails / social networking sites provide). My three sections would be: 1) what successful people are doing 2) what aspiring people don’t do (that should include interviews from editors who read book transcripts, film production companies who read potential scripts. Ask them the big question: their top 10 reasons why scripts, demos, other pitches are turned down. (e.g. is it all about connections or is it about talent or do you need both or any other magic combination). Having read your 2nd book I’d like to feel inspired, confident that what I am doing will eventually help me to break through and motivated. To answer your question 5 (somehow you left 4 out): I don’t mind if its in paperback but I am not a fan of e-books and that’s because I make notes in all my books, I underline important passages that I re-read. I think a combination of paperback and digital would work e.g. have a code in the back of the book that gives online access to listen to interviews from people. I’d also love to listen to success stories. Don’t use iPads and probably never will (sorry).
    Love personal stuff. It makes it real cause lets face it we all struggle with something. It takes away your fear cause if you know that someone else has been able to move through struggle there is no excuse you can’t do the same for yourself.

I hope you find this useful.
    Best regards,
    Annette

3. Annabel
    February 17, 2010 at 6:34 am

I would buy it sight unseen, even before it was published if you wanted to get a number of people to commit to it before you wrote it. I could probably rally a number of my musician friends to do likewise as well (though you won’t hear from them here because most of them aren’t tech savvy enough to subscribe to RSS feeds to keep up with blogs!)

The War of Art made a huge difference in my life and in that of many of my friends. I find it complete in itself, but I would certainly welcome any further insights you could provide on Resistance and professionalism (or emotional labor, as Seth Godin calls it). The personal stories are very helpful in demonstrating that no one is immune to Resistance, regardless of their achievements.

I am over 40, so I prefer a real book rather than having to print it out, and I much prefer paperbacks, they take up less room, can easily be carried in my bag. An electronic version as a supplement, perhaps sold together with the book would be nice.

I personally could do without videos (but again, a 20-something year old may feel differently about it!) and would enjoy just having audio soundbites, much like the short chapters in the original, that I could listen to on my iPod for a boost whenever necessary.

The problem of books is that we are full of insight and resolve while we are reading them and right afterwards and then Resistance sneaks in again and makes us forget.

Perhaps an autoresopnder that would deliver small chapters or reminders via RSS or email would be nice as a supplement as well.

I would want to come away from the book feeling ready to do the work, feeling like I am worthy to do the work.

As for marketing strategies, I suggest you talk with Seth Godin, Gary Vaynerchuk, Tim Ferriss, and Chris Brogan. They have all been very successful in using alternative marketing strategies for their books.

With great respect and gratitude for your work,
    Annabel

4. Marcelo Augusto
    February 17, 2010 at 6:39 am

1. Yes, of course.
    2. For all that reasons, but the first is about the Muse.
    3. Maybe could say more about the resistence in our fantasy, ignorance, and illusions. Maybe with comments on ethic and spiritual life. The feeling I would like is that life is big, that we are nothing without the Mystery. I don’t think the book must be different of the first.
    4. 5. It doesn’t matter to me about the hardcover, paper, etc. It would be great as an eBook too. Maybe videos of people working together. About your personal stuff, please go on.

Thank you for invite us to comment.

All my best.

Marcelo Augusto
    São Paulo – Brazil

5. Michael Arnoldus
    February 17, 2010 at 6:39 am

1. Yes! Most definitely.

2. As further insights on resistance, as a wonderful read and simply reading something that is well written and talks to me.

3. I don’t want to it be something I could imagine I wanted. If I did I would write it myself :-) The specific feeling would be the feeling of freedom and boundless possibilities.

5. Any format will work for me. Print is no problem.

Ipad would be an interesting experiment, but I have to confess I’m a sucker for paper :-)

Kind regards,
    Michael Arnoldus

6. February 17, 2010 at 6:59 am

1) Absolutely. War of Art has been such a huge inspiration to me and those around me.

2) The first book was a kick in the butt, hands down. I think if you were to write a follow up, it too should be a kick in the butt, but should also build upon the foundation you set up in the first book. I think the first book was useful to me when I’m working alone; perhaps a focus for the second book could be working with others. Not necessarily teamwork/collaboration, but the idea of receiving feedback, when to use it or disregard it, etc. So, first book: Kick in the butt. Second book: the value of your critics and how to efficiently produce with them in mind. Maybe. Though, I would read the book even if it were just an extension of what you wrote previously.

3) Three main sections: A- Building upon the foundation of the first book, extension of sorts. B-Working with Feedback and Criticism (and if it matters) C-Greater Purpose of your efforts as an artist. When I close the book, I want to feel as if I am producing my work in order to change the world. It’s so easy to get caught up in “yeah, I made something cool, but only a few people care about it. Is it even worth spending time on this?”

4) I think the style of writing should be similar to the first book, for sure. That was the best part about it. So common-sensical, yet thought-provoking. Urgent but not frantic. Relevant without being preachy. In terms of the content, it should fall along the same lines but I definitely think it should add a new dimension of being self-aware. I know a lot of the lessons in the War of Art were getting beyond this self-awareness and I don’t think you should contradict yourself, but since your audience DOES interact with your work, it’d be nice to hear a little more about how to deal with that.

5) I dislike eBooks. Hardcover is annoying. Paperback is the best. I’d still buy the book if it was hardcover, but I probably wouldn’t bring it out on a train or something.

Marketing Strategies: The way you’re approaching this project right now proves that you’re on the right track. Engaging those who want to hear from you is always important. If you’re going to utilize social media, I believe it’s important to find a medium that works for you and that you’re comfortable with. If you’re asking me what I’d like to see personally? Videoblogs and podcasts. Profiles of people who you think we could learn a thing or two from. Quick riffs about creativity. Q&A (I know that you do some of this, but it would be cool to see you in a web conference type of setting).

And definitely a book tour.

I gave The War of Art to my girlfriend’s father who is a fantastic artist and he described it as life changing. Not just him, this has happened with anyone who I’ve recommended the book to. I enjoy the satisfaction of giving your gift over and over again. I’m sure it will be the same story for whatever book you do next. I’m thankful for your work. Good luck!

7. Kevin Lanik
    February 17, 2010 at 7:35 am

I hope you find my comments helpful, as I have found your writing.
    1) As I have only recently discovered your work I have not yet read The War of Art – but, regardless, I would have to see if the content of a followup book is different enough, providing new insights and not simply an upgrade. If it turns out to be a rehash with a few new features I’m more likely to stick with the original.

2) From what I know of the first book, and your writings here, I think another book on resistance would not be appealing; except, perhaps, as a small segment with new insights on the matter. I think a subject that would naturally follow a book on being creative would be one on getting ‘published’. Not just in words but other forms of art as well, once the work is created getting into the hands of the audience. This endeavor requires resistance but in a different way than the creative process, so the theme of resistance should be included and drive the way the subject is treated.

3) The book would be motivational in the final leg of the artistic process, getting art to its audience. I have to say I’m not sure what three sections might look like. I suppose ‘Finding a publisher‘, ‘Advertising‘ and ‘What to do after getting published‘ might work as a rough start. I don’t think motivation would be necessary initially, every artist wants an audience, but it will be necessary to encourage people to keep at it. As for the overall feeling when finishing the book, there should be a sense of accomplishment and some finality.

4) I can’t say how it would be different, again, not having read the original yet. I imagine the tone would be similar, as a continuation. Obviously the subject matter would be different enough to get you audience to buy it.

5) I wouldn’t care whether there was hardcover, but I would love to see an electronic version as well as print. I know others won’t want an ebook, print will never die, but I would certainly go for one because they are easier to navigate.

8. CK
    February 17, 2010 at 7:40 am

1. I would be interested an buy it. For sure.
    2. It would be useful to me in the same way the first book was. As a refresher on motivation. To remind myself that I am not the only one that suffers in the creative process. The more valuable the item you are creating, the more the resistance. I’ve used the first edition as gifts to my creative friends. I bought ten copies and gave them all away. The recipients were always amazed at the book.
    3. Maybe revisit what was in the first edition, and update the content with what you know now, as opposed to what you knew when you first wrote it. Also I think it would be nice to have a section of a dialogue between you and your readers about the book, or questions from your readers about the book.
    4 (5?). Format does not matter to me. I do read Kindle books on my kindle and iphone. Hardcover is a relic of the past. I still read paper books, but don’t feel like paying a premium for hardcover. Those days are over. I like paper books less each day. I look at my bookshelves of paper books and think that idea is quaint. The future of my book purchases will not take up space, just digital space. I like the video idea. Videos of people who have read the book, and interview about THEIR creative process might be interesting.

9. From Smart to Finish
    February 17, 2010 at 8:15 am

1. Yes, I will buy it.
    2. I will use it as a motivational tool. I keep my current version in the door pocket of my car. I’m a Suburban Mom, and I pull it out and read when I have to wait on someone or something. Plus, I see it there each time I open the door, a reminder to “carry on”.
    3. I would want the the text pared to brief and meaningful spoonfuls. I like that the current version can be opened to any page, at any time, to deliver a dose of tonic.
    4. I would like the paper to be higher quality, to resist crinkly decay.
    5. I would NOT download and print an e-book.

Have you thought of narrating an audiobook?

Or composing a Page-a-Day calendar?

10. Jason MacPherson
    February 17, 2010 at 8:16 am

Absolutely do another book!!!

First, I am not the least bit artistic – can’t write, draw, or play music. I have been in business my whole life – started getting a paycheck at 14 and your principles apply in the business realm as well.I have owned a couple of businesses and worked in mid-management at three Fortune 100 companies.

The War of Art is great internal motivation about getting up, working hard, and doing something to overcome the resistance. I am very interested in your ideas on the external side. The appearance of luck or fate. The break that requires someone else.

It seems that every success has some kind of break – a certain person, a team of previous unknowns coming together, a small business that gets a huge contract. Is it the law of attraction? I know some people will say talent creates its own luck, but I am not so sure. I grew up in Nashville and knew many aspiring country artists. Some of the unknown – never made its – had more talent than some of the stars. They worked just as hard but never seemed to get the right door opened for them. I know many failed people that worked hard everyday. What about the fate?/

I am old school and would love paperback – can’t concentrate on more than a page on a screen for some reason.

11. February 17, 2010 at 8:19 am

Steve:

To me, WofA seems complete. Hard to imagine improving on it.

But I’d buy a version 2, sight unseen.

What would I like to see?

More of the same thing that made WofA so rich in the first place. What are you itching and burning to say about this? What’s eating at you? What stories have you heard from readers that moved you? What have you learned that you can’t shut up about?

WofA works because it comes from the gut. It wasn’t focused-grouped into existence. As you said yourself, you had to do it. The voice is everything here.

More of that, please. It’s what elevates the book nine miles above the usual pap like “Nine tips for overcoming procrastination.” Or the Chicken Soup series that was sequeled to death: “Chicken soup for the downsized executive who is now a real estate agent Soul.”

Personally, I’d just be happy to see what YOU want to add to War of Art. That’s what I’d pay for.

Format: I’d pay for a book. Need to feel the pages, and how they get dog-eared with repeated readings.

12. sue
    February 17, 2010 at 8:45 am

I’m with Walt. You really provided a good kick in the rear with the first book, and it had so much force and your personal excitement invested that it made me feel you were talking just to me.

Please keep it to paper. These sorts of motivational books (and so far in 50 years, yours is the best I’ve found) are great carry-alongs.

I did enjoy how you related ideas to personal experience.

13. February 17, 2010 at 8:49 am

The War of Art changed my life. I have always been “creative” but Resistance has stopped me from actually finishing things so many times in my career. Until I read your book, I just thought I was weak. Now I know that I needed to be trained for battle.

I have bought The War of Art 6 times for friends and would buy this book sight unseen. Paperback preferred. And I really like ebooks because i can print them at work and read on the train. It reminds me of grad school – reading important research that the professor feels is the most current insight into a topic.

Content: All of the content is compelling. What would help me is even more material on professionalism. As far as video or extended content, I think it would be fascinating to see videos of real people discussing how Resistance has shown itself in their lives and what they do to beat it down to the ground!

One final thing, I work for a church organization, and I think there is a strong theological case to be made that your description of Resistance is the very definition of “sin.” Would make a very good dissertation!

14. Jesse C
    February 17, 2010 at 8:57 am

1. I would definitely buy it, as Walt said above, sight unseen.
    2. I think there are probably a lot of great things you could put in it, but at minimum as a motivational kick in the butt daily reminder and as a set of patterns and solutions it would be great to expand on WOA. I like to read random selections whenever I feel the need to get moving, and as such you could expand almost indefinitely. I’ll think some more about other things I’d like to see and suggest them because I really want you to write a sequel, but that would be enough for me to buy it.
    3. Dealing with the business of selling/making a living writing, although it is changing a lot as media changes I think there are probably the same personalities (crooks, directors, agents, etc.) to deal with in different guises. I would make that section 2. A section on writing extended works, like for a series or rewriting novel-length work. I would make that section 1.
    Section 3 I would like to see unfold as a set of vignettes that describe and illustrate/demonstrate technique. Ultimately in the end my feeling would be the same as a satisfying story in which the hero learned to master his craft and succeed in the hurly-burly dangerous competitive world and came out on top but not where he expected to be, bruised but unbroken.
    5. I would most likely buy the Kindle and paperback editions. I’d most likely get the hardcover only if its autographed and probably as a gift.

15. February 17, 2010 at 9:03 am

# 1 I will buy and read anything you write about writing, so yes, War of Art 2.0 would be most welcome.

#2 A book on this subject is timely and useful: Many of us who blog and use social media are chagrined to find these platforms support our endeavors—yet, unbridled, also transform into a form of Resistance. Ideally, War of Art 2.0 will motivate, kick butts and delve further into Resistance, especially á propos of modern life and its myriad digital distractions. Where and how do you draw the line with media intrusion?

#3 I’d like the book to include a.) A recap and new insights into art and Resistance b.) Personal stories and examples: work routines, resistance strategies, how you incorporate new media into your daily life. c.) Honest suggestions for combating 2.0-related Resistance. –even if suggestions are unfashionable, e.g.:”Unplug.” Would love to know what your Muse thinks of digital media.

#4 I liked the spare writing style and concise length of The War of Art. It would be great if the 2.0 volume kept your thoughtful, succinct format and didn’t veer into the “I’m figuring this out as I go along” style adopted by so many bloggers.

#5 I like hardcover or paperback. I don’t want to print out an ebook or read on a screen.

16. William
    February 17, 2010 at 9:22 am

I’d preorder a copy of War of Art 2 now, if I could. It is one of the few great books on creativity. I’ll take the book any way you want to give it, but a paper book is preferred. I like to stick WoA in my bag on trips from time to time to reread.

As for an iPad version, the Slate/Pad wars are just getting started. Wait for a bit. Do some video’s on YouTube as marketing for now, free, supplemental videos that you’ll learn what works and then move to the Slate market. Could be a really neat app, a creative persons partner. Check off how much you did that day, how good it was and provide feedback both canned and new videos. Look at the EA games Active (for exercise). It has you journal your health habits and rewards you with feedback. Something like that for battling resistance – that’s a ipad/Slate app that could add huge value combined with the WoA ideas.

As for content, what are the themes you hear over and over again? For me, fighting Resistance is a slog, a battle and anything on facing the battle would help. There are a lot of tactics (professionalism) in your book, but they feel like tactics, because resistance changes. It adapts to my success.

That would be one topic: The War itself, day in and day out and how to realize that Resistance is changing.

Another would be on Resistance’s ally: Life. How do you manage around Resistance in face of the day job, kids, stress, and so forth? How to turn missing one day on Art into a bump and not a roadblock. How do you create when everything seems to be falling apart?

Personal struggles work for me. I like to feel I’m not alone out there. One book to skim a bit on this topic is Mind Games on sports psychology. Many useful ideas on how sports people fight their own demons. It’s wildly different than an artist’s problems but we hold something in common. Our brains get in the way.

Now, I’ve burned through 10 minutes of my writing time. I need to go fight Resistance some more.
    Thanks – WoA is one of the important books in my life. Thank you for it.

17. February 17, 2010 at 9:33 am

Mr. Pressfield,

I had the privilege of interviewing you almost 2 yrs. ago for my men@pause podcast. You might remember, I mentioned I served in Army Special Operations at Ft. Bragg.

Sir, I’m “gunning” for a signed book since I exalted you to my buddies Pam Slim, Jonathan Fields, and Chris Guillebeau. Okay, you didn’t need me to do that, but…

Here’s my response to your request:

1. What about a The War of Art applied to online communication for people that will never write a book? Focused on the person who may never write a physical book, but will be regarded as great social media writer. Small business owners reconciling offline w/online conversation & relationship will really dig this. In your original War of Art style, focus on resistance. The War of Art 2.0 muse now has her own domain name and twitter account:)

2. Include success stories of people from reading The War of Art.

3. I recommend the same paperback length and style as The War of Art.

4. I recommend you re-purpose your The War of Art stories w/brief podcast or virtual video interviews. Of course you’ll need an interview host, and I’m “reporting for duty.” Think: The War of Art & The War of Art 2.0 on favorite hand-held mp3 device and phones where people get a quick audio or video kick in the butt.

Mr. Pressfield, thanks for inspiring us.

Matthew Ray Scott

18. February 17, 2010 at 9:56 am

1) Yes. I’d buy the book whatever it turns out to be. But I’d be beating down doors to buy the book if it featured more nuts & bolts implementation, examples of turnarounds, etc.

2) The book would be most helpful in giving me more habits and processes I can put in place around my workday to bolster my efforts at keeping Resistance at bay.

3) The book would have handy rules of thumb, some hard and fast rules, before and after examples, etc. It would be as much of a handbook, field manual, and daily reference as anything.

4) It would be different in focus. The War of Art is damn near poetry: slim, profound, eminently quotable, changes the way you see the world. But a lot of us suck. We now know we’re fighting the enemy called Resistance – and that’s a huge step forwards – but we’re still pretty bad at actually fighting him. A tactics and strategies manual would be a blessing.

5) I’d actually prefer a paperback in plasticky, durable covers – the kind a real field manual or tactics handbook might have. Maybe even a slightly larger than average format such as the one that Scott McCloud’s Understanding Comics used. I would NOT want it in an e-book format. Or rather, I would prefer not to only have it in an e-book format.

19. February 17, 2010 at 10:25 am

like several others have said, not just being kind, but i’d buy it without thinking twice, just because of how helpful war of art was/is for me.

for me, what resonated with me the most in war of art was the resistance and the pieces on professionalism, but more than that it was the style that it was written in. brief, poignant thoughts that gave a small peak inside personal struggles.

i would be interested in hearing more on issues and struggles that artists and writers need to overcome. i couldn’t say exactly what those are ( i wouldn’t have identified needing to read about the resistance before i did), but something that’s born out of your own personal struggle.

the war of art made me feel like i need to go create, and that i can go create…that’s why i bought the book for dozens of others as well. i think capturing that same sort of spirit would be the feeling i’d love to end the book with.

as to hardcover, etc – i’d buy it however, but paperback made it cheaper for me to be able to buy multiple copies for more people, and for whatever reason, it felt like it fit the war of art for me. i read a lot on the kindle and would read it as an ebook there, and won’t be using an ipad for reading.

20. February 17, 2010 at 10:42 am

Steve,

Thanks for asking. I felt WoA 1.0 was written for me. Now, I know WoA 2.0 really is. :)

Michelle
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1) Yes, I would buy it. I still recommend WoA to friends.

2) I would enjoy further insights on Resistance and Professionalism.

As another topic, there are a lot of things that are beyond our control in this economic downturn. It’s hard to not internalize bad things. I’d like to see a section written to address dealing what is controllable vs just bad luck.

1. How the outside world works with you, and sometimes against you, in your life’s work. How to know the difference between a sign that you should be doing something else vs an obstacle to over come.

2. Inner battles

3. Knowing oneself and reaching for the end goal.

I want confidence that I can endure any hardship with grace and eventually succeed.

Yes, make it like WoA 1 so I can laugh.

5) Paperback.

21. S.J.B
    February 17, 2010 at 10:43 am

I’ll buy it. Paperback.

Motivation – Butt kicking – Discipline – Resistance – Focus – Commitment

Examples of your personal struggle – absolutely

How do you believe in yourself enough to take that leap of faith? I’m finally at a point where I can afford to do so and yet a voice from within is assuring me that going back to college for a couple of years would be sensible. I feel compelled to schedule a two-year block of resistance. I want the book to inspire me to follow my bliss, put all my eggs in one basket, and burn my bridges. I want you to give me guts.

Sorry for the cliche’s

22. Kyle
    February 17, 2010 at 10:52 am

What I would like to see in WoA2.0 is for you to “novelize” it as you considered and rejected before in the actual WoA.

Have an awesome index-guide: Use of blank to suggest blank-pp xxx, yyy, zzz.

Paper or ebook with embedded notes to jump back and forth between guide and novel.

23. Ivan
    February 17, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Steven:

Thanks for asking. But please don’t ask.

If you want to do War of Art 2.0 because there’s something clawing at your insides that you need to let out, I’ll buy. Four copies. Right now. I’ll give you my Visa Card number. E-book, paper book, video. Matters not.

But f you’re re-doing it to extend the franchise, or do a sequel or capitalize on the brand or leverage your audience equity, don’t do it. Please don’t do it. Let War of Art be what it is, forever.

You didn’t do Bagger Vance because the demographics were right. Henry Ford said, “If I had asked consumers what they wanted, they would have said, ‘Give me a faster horse that doesn’t crap so much.'”

So please don’t ask me. I have no damn idea. But I’ll stand in line to read whatever you’ve been thinking and feeling and wanting to say since the first edition.

I’ll point you to page 152 of the paperback War of Art. (Don’t you freaking HATE when people toss your own words in front of you?) Definition of a Hack.

• February 18, 2010 at 4:25 pm

I agree. Dido.

24. Andrew
    February 17, 2010 at 12:36 pm

If you released a new version, I’m sure I’d buy it, considering how many times I’ve re-read the original. That said, this survey is silly. If you have something inside you that you feel like you need to write, write it. If you don’t, don’t. You’d be violating your own principals to do anything else.

25. josh
    February 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm

please don’t release a follow up. you touched upon everything possible in war of art and if certain people aren’t applying those principles, they are beyond help, plain and simple. a second book would be considered a form of resistance for most folks because most people like to play it safe and continue to learn instead of actually doing. maybe i should take my own advice though!

26. February 17, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Yes. I would buy it on the day it came out, provided it were in eletronic format.

Seth’s Linchpin built on your book, I thought. Take Linchpin up another notch. Stimulate the professional. You did a fabulous job in War of Art 1 on pinning the Resistance. Tell me more about the professional. Tell me about shipping. Tell me about producing, about putting stuff out into the real world, about detaching myself from the outcome, about being authentic.

Whatever way you choose to write about it will be both a kick in the butt and a motivational aid. Both of these happen naturally in your writing.

I guess I mostly answered this in the previous question. Discuss authenticity. Talk about the authentic swing in the work of the professional. Talk about Bobby Jones. Talk about the relationship of the professional to consumption (does the professional consume or produce more?). Tell me how to break through the initial barrier and build momentum.

The three main sections of the book would be:

I. The Professional
    II. The Breakthrough
    III. Sustaining Movement

4) Would it be like the original War of Art or would it be different? In what ways?

Same style. Mix up your own internal feelings with the principles you share. Share your struggle. Tell us about how you’ve matured and gotten wiser with experience.

In my case, I would prefer that you launch it either in Kindle Format or in ePub format. I’ve found the iPhone apps Stanza (and Kindle) to be spectacular for reading anywhere on account of portability. From what I know, these apps are also available on iPad, so you’d be doing a killer job of it. And you can include links in that format. ePub is really the best.

Another suggestion would be for you to sell it straight to your readers, without any DRM. All DRM does is prevent your real fans from copying the file to every device they own in order to read it wherever it’s convenient. Do it the Radiohead way.

It’ll be tough to include videos for the iPad, since Apple ensures no video can play on their devices. Unless you put them on YouTube.

I hope my answers help you. And you can bet I’ll be standing in virtual line to get it when it comes out.

27. February 17, 2010 at 1:11 pm

write.the.damn.book.

hurry.

• February 17, 2010 at 2:06 pm

We’re all writing 237-word rambles.

Seth Godin gets to the nut in four words.

• Jet
        February 17, 2010 at 5:37 pm

I have to agree with Walt, but I’m going to offer my own reply anyway!

28. Jon
    February 17, 2010 at 1:52 pm

1) Yes. Interested and would buy it. Even if it were just a refinement of the original based on the work and experience and feedback you’ve had in the meantime, I’d be on board.

2) All of the above. Just having it in the house is a motivational kick in the ass. Thanks to the vignette format, if I’m battling resistance or just need a pick-me-up I can open it to any page, read for a couple minutes, and get juiced right up. Everything in the original was helpful — the analysis of resistance, the tips on professionalism, the dangers of amateurism. Odds are whatever experiences and topics you feel in your gut are important (even just to you), they’ll be helpful to the rest of us if only as yardsticks.

3) The specific feeling of the original wasn’t one I got as I closed the book so much as each time I read. I cannot read more than a few pages without having to put it down and do some work of my own. That, all content aside, it what is most important to me about the book. Three sections:

i. Resistance (recap 1.0, lay down new insights)

ii. Professionalism (refine / expand descriptions, behaviours, processes from 1.0, maybe recruit / quote a range of successful professionals on their approach, work day, etc., enough that we can each find someone with inclinations similar to our own)

iii. The Industry (how the professional becomes part of his profession, concrete steps, what to watch out for, how to maintain your integrity, vision, etc.) Here your personal experiences are especially relevant. They don’t get in the way for me, even when our experiences or processes are completely different. I’m with Camus — “One recognizes one’s course by discovering the paths that stray from it. ”

How would it differ? I imagine 2.0 would be less internal than 1.0. The first was basic training, the second is a field manual. (Is that an actual term? I’m out of my league with the military metaphors but I hope you get what I mean.) It would be the same in that it’s a collection of things you’ve tried, what has worked and what has not, principles that have become evident in the process.

5) Hardcover is okay but in fact I’d prefer it in paperback. It’s more portable, more lend-able. I’m not on the e-book bandwagon so I can’t comment. As long as it comes in paperback I’ll be happy.

All in all I think it’s a worthwhile effort. If your gut is telling you to follow it up, then by all means do so.

29. February 17, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Mr. Pressfield,

1) Yes

2 & 3) Of late, I’ve developed the sense that there isn’t just “resistance” in writing, there are also “traps”. Resistance is, as you define, those forces acting in opposition to our progress. In my mind, “traps” aren’t necessarily forces acting in direct opposition, but mental models (borrowing from Mr. McCallister, here) that distract or derail our efforts. They’re gimmicks, sales pitches, and false aids that aren’t necessarily designed to act in direct opposition to creative people, but instead mean to use our energy and determination for their own profit.

Bogus essay and short story contests, self-proclaimed agents that aren’t worth the money you pay them, people who offer to “broker” your creative properties or try to scam you on faux publishing agreements. To my mind, they’re all “external” traps.

Trying to measure your blog’s success by the number of comments made on it, believing that you have to update your social media every 10 minutes to stay in “the public eye”, coming up with pointless blog or status updates because you underestimate the value of having something worthwhile to say, stepping down to your audience’s level in order to “keep the dialogue” with it going. These are all “internal” traps.

We all feel resistance, but what you’ve done is give it a diagnosis and a solution. You’re the Freud of resistance, perhaps. But when it comes to traps, we fall in them because we have no means at all by which to perceive them. They are, by nature, sneaky. Can you show me how to read the map and the terrain, step over the tiger pits and run from killer boulders? Can you be the Indiana Jones of traps?

4) I suppose I like the style of WoA and would like 2.0 to be the same, since familiarity with the format would make it more easily accessible. Since it’s a “sequel”, there is the consideration of the reverse model of people buying 2.0 first and thus enjoying 1.0 in the same way as the rest of us going in order.

5) I have “Story” in hardcover, and wish I’d bought WoA in hardcover originally. Paperback doesn’t last repeated use, and I use WoA frequently.

30. Tricia
    February 17, 2010 at 3:02 pm

This is what I think without really thinking about it.

A paperback works for me best. I want something I can take into the bathtub if I so please. I hate reading off the computer. I like to be able to underline things in different colours, fold pages down, make it my own, etc., etc. Putting the blogs all tghr works for me, so that I can dip in and out (not just the bathtub) when a particular issue comes to me, or simply open at a page, voodoo-like. Repetition is not an issue because sometimes one (me, myself or I) needs the same thing said a hundred different ways before it is finally understood, or acted upon.

Re: structure: Put the blogs together and see for yourself what themes constellate … you may find you want to elaborate on certain ones … (suggestion)

Just do it. People WILL buy it.

Tricia

31. Carlos
    February 17, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Wouldn’t your request for our wisdom and feedback be “resistance”?

At any rate, Yes, I would most definitely buy the book, but if I knew what I needed from W.O.A. 2.0, I wouldn’t need to buy/reed it.

Good luck!

32. February 17, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Your book is a classic. I welcome anything you can add.
    A page a day index card on my computer to think about when I’m stuck?
    A gong to pattern interrupt my resistant thoughts.
    A question to help me focus.

It’s an ipad…..
    The world is unlimited.

33. February 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Would I buy it? Doesn’t matter. Does it? Would I read it? Yup.

What would I like to hear?

Voodoo stuff! Get into the bolts of it. What is art FOR? Why do we do it? Even when it’s not my career (and I’m happy enough with my career) I still yearn to make art–WHY? Where does the creative impulse come from? What is the relationship between art and life? What is the relationship between art and death?

I would have so much more time if I didn’t spend so much of it making art that–frankly–no one really cares that much about. I don’t really care if they care. I still go ahead and do it. I have no idea why I do this. I feel it’s right and good to create. But I don’t know why.

The War of Art is very much about the How of art. I want to know about the Why–every facet. I would connect to someone trying to articulate this to the world.

-jt

PS don’t be daft, of course I’d buy it. Paperback though… I’m saving for a new synth.

34. Jet
    February 17, 2010 at 6:02 pm

1) Yes, I will buy the book when you publish it.
    2) Same way War of Art and Bagger Vance got to me – I squirmed and read your words reciting my fears, exposing my warts, but with the sense that we are all in this together.
    3) I’m getting a sense that it won’t be so much a sequel as a different approach to that old devil Resistance. You seem to have a knack for addressing something (same subject different words) in enough ways that you get through to a much larger audience than a writer who writes different subject same language. In other words, it would be very different. As far as three main sections – Growth, Defeat, Victory, something in that line that takes you from overcoming Resistance, the ‘falling off the wagon’ of setback, and that settling in of the real pro that finally ‘gets it.’ When I put down the book, I’d like to feel like a pro, like Junah did when he played the last 18 holes, no thought of the outcome, just….just……on top of my game. And if something shakes me, I’d like to reach back into my memory banks to the page where you remind me that I’m a pro and can’t be shook.
    No 4) ?
    5) Paperback would be my preference. Like Tricia I prefer to underscore, highlight, put sticky notes in the pages I want to read until they become tattooed on my brain, write in pencil in the margins…… I like clicking through edocs to videos but I find them distracting. I like to concentrate on the page I’m reading….. okay so I’m older…….
    If you leave out the personal stuff you take all the blood out of the writing…… when you write personal you reach us.

35. February 17, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Hi Steven,

I have not read your book — only heard of it many times. I do plan to read it. :-)

I can help you with the marketing question you pose — the person you need to contact for brilliant web-based marketing strategies is Ed Dale and his team at ThirtyDayChallenge.com. He is as honest as they come and provides the best.online.marketing.education. ever.

Aside from the Thirty Day Challenge, you can find his fan page on Facebook. He’s also on Twitter (@Ed_Dale). He’s on Skype (lives in Australia) and his personal blog is http://www.TubbyNerd.com. In fact, I believe he’s the one who referred me to Writing Wednesdays. Life is interesting, yes?

Best of luck with your new book!

36. February 17, 2010 at 8:23 pm

yes – I would love a part II to the book!

Also – Would like to mail you a copy of my own book. Had acknowledged “The war of art” as one of the books that had helped me. Mr. Pressfield, email me with your address and I’ll rush a copy of my book to you.

Yours,
    Danny

37. resistor
    February 18, 2010 at 1:22 am

1) i would be v interested in the book if it had the promise of offering new insight.

2) when i first read your book, i related to it but resistance was winning. then i broke through it and i could lend it to people because i didn’t need to look at it. now, i am stuck again… and need a another kind of breakthrough…

3) break through/ break down/ + maintenance.

4) it could have short and longer format

5) hardcover don’t matter. the first book could be an iphone app… shake it when you need help…

in terms of adding links, i think it would be best if they were new. interviews with authors or the like but not re-hashing of films like a blog… personal struggles are incredibly helpful.

38. February 18, 2010 at 1:30 am

I would love a War of Art 2.0, in paperback, with more kick in the but bits. An even greater expose of that monster Resistance. Do agree on tackling the “why”-question. Not really the why of art but the why of self undermining and self destruction. Why is it so widespread. Do our lives lack meaning. Pondering such stuff in your unique way would bring insight to others. Don’t leave out the personal stuff.

39. February 18, 2010 at 1:43 am

Dear Steven,
    Here are my thoughts:
    1) Yes, I would definitely buy it, even without knowing too much about it. I loved War of Art and found it extremely insightful. I also think you are a genuinely lovely and generous person and I think that is worth all the support I can offer.

2) The book would be most helpful as a motivational aid, as you suggested, but also as a reminder that someone whom I greatly admire and who has achieved so much in his life is going through the same struggles as I am – which means I’m struggling not necessarily because I’m unfocused, untalented etc. but because Resistance is present in every creative person’s life, to be conquered every day. This was what I found the most useful in reading War of Art, and I would love to read more about that. This also relates to your question on personal stuff – yes, hearing more about your personal battles with Resistance and other obstacles relating to creativity, and how you are overcoming these, would be particularly helpful – again, due to the ‘you are not alone’ feeling that it leaves people with, which can be extremely motivating.

3. Not quite sure about sections – something along the lines of i) ‘obstacle [Resistance etc.]’; ii) ‘how to overcome them’; iii) troubleshooting might work, but I don’t know enough about what you have in mind about the book to be of much help here.

4/5. Paperback would be fine – I’d prefer it to an ebook (as I could write notes all over and then keep it on my bookshelf for easy reference, as I did with War of Art), but I’d buy either. If you’re thinking of making it available on the iPad, some bonus videos with you talking about common problems would be nice; videos in which you interview creative people working in other areas would also work; and videos in which you respond to Q&A by readers (basically, the kind of stuff that Robert McKee does in Storylogue, but applied to War of Art topics).

I’m under thirty and I’m not sure about ‘brilliant’, but here are some web-based marketing strategies you might think of using:
    – having a button on your website that people can download and put on their blog/other projects as a sign that they are also engaged in the War of Art 2.0
    – writing a War of Art 2.0 manifesto, that people can download from your website and put on their wall as a reminder that their goal is to defeat Resistance every single day, and also pass on to friends and colleagues who would benefit
    – putting together a short (e.g. 1-minute) video about something in relation to the book (e.g. how you came to recognise the pervasiveness of Resistance in your own life). You might already be familiar with Gretchen Rubin’s Happiness Project (www.happiness-project.com) and with her short videos that she used as one of several ways to promote the book – e.g. http://www.theyearsareshort.com/
    and http://www.secretsofadulthood.com/

Hope this helps, and by the way I’d be happy to help with web-based marketing for the book in exchange for an interview with you for my blog :)
    Very much looking forward to War of Art 2.0, and best of luck with it,
    Alexa

40. February 18, 2010 at 5:11 am

1) I would definitely buy it. I’m a new fan having just found your book via Seth Godin but I read it one sitting and have been reading random snippets daily for a kick in the ass.

2) A kick in the ass and more thoughts on professionalism would be helpful. I could also see room for some information about leadership and tribes. It seems like most artists are leaders of tribes of some size. What functions of a tribe and leading a tribe are subject to the Resistance? How can your tribe be a Muse?

3) a. The Resistance Returns, b. Tribes as Muses c. More on Being A Profession.

I’d like to feel motivated to follow my muse and committed to doing my work, as I did after the first book.

5) I wouldn’t mind printing it but I’d prefer both versions. Godin releases a lot of good stuff as pdf and I always have it printed and spiral bound. As a reference or motivation though I love having an actual book (doesn’t have to be hard bound). While my printed stuff is near my work area I’m never tempted to grab it for a quick review like I am an actual book that I can see on the shelf. On the other side I have printed single pages from Seth’s stuff to hang on the wall temporarily.

I’d recommend a paperback and a supplemental electronic version.

I’m not a marketer but given your popularity I think if you gave copies of your book to a handful of good bloggers to review it you could generate some useful buzz. If there is some piece that you can share for free online that would help too.

Thanks for your work, you are an inspiration.

41. william dertinger
    February 18, 2010 at 7:41 am

Mr Pressfield, I would absolutely love the book. I enjoy the stories about overcoming the resistance – we all have it in one way or another. Im not even a writer – Im a cop – and I experience it as well. I would like to see a version for an I-pad but I also like to have a book (hard or soft cover) in my hands. I like to dog ear pages and underline things. The original for me is very inspirational and a kick in the pants. I hope the next one is also inspirational and includes what you’ve learned since the first writing and also some cool stuff from the guys like Jim Gant. Whats more inspirational than his speech you quoted last Wed?

42. February 18, 2010 at 9:12 am

1) I would definitely buy it right away. The first book has helped me A LOT! Also, I’m a huge fan of Bhagavad Gita and in terms of taking arms to action, they resemble very much. It’s just that yours is in “modern” language :)
    2) I guess it helps in motivational thinking. Taking resistance as something not personal helps a lot! It feels that you’re sharing your “battle moments” with us, and I’ve always loved your passion when describing “battles”
    3) Hmm, since I’m a huge fan of Gates of Fire, something like Dienekes’ advices confronting Fear. I think that Resistance is another face of Fear, and in every battle we lose, it is kicking our asses from behind!. As for the three main parts, I’d love something like (in no particulary order):
    Our mind and it’s marriage with our Ego
    Love (sometimes called Passion) as a solution to Fear (as in Gates of Fire spartan modus vivendi)
    Some deepening in the “supernatural help” that tackles every “hero” in its resurrection path (Joseph Campbell – “The hero with a thousand faces”)

Finally, as for the feeling it should deliver, I’d choose something strong, passionate like when you reach the end of Gates of Fire and read those epitaph words…

4)Doesn’t matter to me, but I prefer paperbacks.. If it’s iPad-like content, such as videos and some other stuff, I think that inspirational videos presenting warrior-like content and holy-like (but not bound to a specific religion) content are the best!

To finish, I’d like to thank you for your great books and I’ll definitely continue reading Writing Wednesdays…

43. ellis
    February 18, 2010 at 9:14 am

I would certainly be interested in a 2.0 and would likely purchase it.

I’ve never found a book to be a significant motivational aid, although I’ve read a bunch hoping for such. Resistance was presented so well in WoA that I would like to see an “after Resistance.” Granted, it’s an ongoing, everyday battle and we all must find our best means of overcoming it, but what are the rewards (for art & life) for fighting a good fight? How does it widen one’s horizon? And to what extent does one’s “professionalism” and success as a writer, artist, freelancer, business owner etc. hinge on battling Resistance?

I would also be interested in how your career has grown or changed as a result of WoA, including some insight into how the changing technological environment has influenced that growth. Where might this internet thing place future artistic endeavors? Tied to that, is the Resistance of presentation the same as the Resistance of production? Winning the fight to produce the work of art or the business plan and then believing in its value, leaves one facing a new fight to present or market it. What are productive strategies for this? How do they differ?

As for book format, I am fighting the ebook movement. What I’ve found is that I am far less likely to read a book in digital format. The iPad might change this. But at this point, I have a directory full of unread ebooks. Hardback or good paper remains my preference.

Finishing a good book can evoke a wide range of emotions, but the one I most covet is the desire to flip back to page 1 and start it all over again. But how does one do that? That’s a mystery. Or a chapter in WoA 2.0. . .

44. February 18, 2010 at 9:30 am

I subscribed to your blog because your posts are always outside of the realm of the blogging community echo chamber. I like that you use real examples because those real examples are far more insightful than a “NAME OF ANY POP CULTURE ITEM Guide to Writing/Blogging/Etc.” Two of my primary interests are how writers got “found” and more in-depth or advanced writing tips. I recently devoured an article on Copyblogger that was about highlighting benefits, not features in corporate sales copy. This article was far more helpful than a more general article would have been because it nailed the exact issue I needed to address at work. I’m not sure if this comment is really helpful or not, but I’m an under 30 currently putting together a social media ROI plan for my company and I’d love to help with whatever you’re working on :)

45. Jennie Spotila
    February 18, 2010 at 11:33 am

Yes, I would buy another book! But I would not like an e-book that I have to print out, or a version that can only be fully accessed on the iPad. Further insights on Resistance would be most welcome, as is motivation and professionalism. I enjoy hearing about how others deal with Resistance, including yourself.

46. February 18, 2010 at 6:38 pm

As I procrastinate (or indulge resistance) from finishing my tasks this day, I will share my thoughts –

What about a book of “meditations” so to speak? Like a thing you could read each day. That would be cool.

Yes on the paper back question. No on the ebook – though videos would be cool. What videos would I want to see? um, I really liked the video of a giant girl marionette in austria or somewhere. But I can’t really imagine videos that would be helpful. (perhaps my lack of imagination)

Three sections:

Beginning The Slog Wrapping up.

I find each of these have such different flavors in resistance that it might be very helpful.

Okay – so just to let you know – I took a writing class where the teacher quoted from you each week. IN that class I wrote a book – (started on my next one before that was finished as per pressfield ; – ) got an agent for that book – and it went out last year during the carnage of the publishing industry, and got comments from editors like: “Missed my subway stop, loved this book, would have bought it a year ago” etc. all passing SO FAR….in the mean time I’ve been writing the next one. I’m deeply into my second pass of of 350 page novel – (the slog) FYI, I’ve started helping people making documentaries (my day job) and read bits War of Art to them – in fact invoked you today when a guy who really wants to/needs to make this documentary is thinking about quitting because – because – why – he’s depressed, he doesn’t know if he can finish etc. Sigh. Well, I sent him the pressfield quote that will hopefully keep him in the saddle so he can make the shit he needs!

So – thank you sir. I am happy to answer any more questions about 2.0. And please let me know if you have any leads on publishers with the guts to publish a kick ass – pressfield coached memoir….Thanks for your good work.

Good luck,

Stephanie Hubbard

47. February 18, 2010 at 7:41 pm

1. Yes. I would buy it instantly. I have already given away copies of the 1.0 book to family and friends. It’s brilliant and I can’t imagine that a follow-up would fail.

2. I generally hate motivational books but your writing hits a sweet spot for me in that it doesn’t coddle or pay lip service. More of that combined with another take on Resistance would be excellent.

3. I’m not sure how I would break it up or how it would read. If I did, I’d write it myself. Or not. I would love to have the experience of putting the book down and going right back to work. That’s what the first one did for me.

4. I like the short sections and the readability of TWOA. I don’t want to say that I want more of the same but in a sense I do. Not very helpful, but honest.

5. Format is unimportant to me. I do a ton of reading on my nook these days but I would certainly buy this future book in a physical format for the purposes of underlining, adding notes, and for quick reference. I’m not a fan of printing it myself but if it only came out as an ebook I would still read it. Yet another way of saying that the format makes no difference.

Thank you for TWOA and for your work on Writing Wednesdays. I have learned a great deal from you and am very grateful.

48. Morgaine Hall
    February 18, 2010 at 10:13 pm

1. War of Art 2.0 would be great, as long as it maintains the same terse, simple style of the original. The format and writing style of the book are REALLY what set this book apart from other nonfiction books of this type. Also, please don’t lose the exceptionally serious yet humorous tone–writing is a “serious business” which both requires our extreme devotion and an extreme sense of humor, which I think you manage perfectly in the original.

2. I think the resistance section is fully fleshed out–it’s the professionalism aspect which could use more detail. I think more details on how to actually GO from amateur to professional, especially how this resistance can crop up even when we think we’re doing everything as the book says. What are some real world applications for the professional manifesto? Is there some sort of timeline one could follow in attacking our resistance, thus taking us out of our amateur status? A professional’s battle plan of sorts?

3. The first section should be focused on being an amateur–the specific traits one should fight in a step-by-step format in an attempt to discover what, exactly, the professional inside the reader looks like. What is their creative routine? What are their most insidious resistant, amateurish tendencies? What is their aesthetic? How can they seek out the elusive professional and eliminate the amateur within them? This should be aimed toward the individual reader discovering which aspects of the original book are most important and/or detrimental to them. Section two should be how one can maintain the professional on a day-to-day basis, once one has discovered that inner professional and his good habits and attitudes. How can the reader stick in for the long haul, even when reaching professional status probably has roadblocks which are specific to this state and are potential killers of the professional’s drive and focus. Section three could focus on the more “spiritual” aspects of being professional, like one’s relationship with the muse. What are practical ways that a connection to and understanding of the muse can help all those engaged in creative endeavors stay focused, driven, and strong when times get tough. I think the final page should be one of inspiration tinged with empowerment. The first book definitely created this sense that being a professional was something within the grasp of anyone who was willing to fight hard for it and be brave during the process of creation.

4. Hardcover, to me, is a bit overrated. Paperback would be lovely, and ebook would be even better. However, I would caution against ONLY going through one service which restricts your book to one e-reading platform, like the kindle or iPad. There are those of us who would simply love to read an ebook on our laptops…

49. February 18, 2010 at 11:39 pm

1. I would buy the War of Art 2.0 (probably many copies to give out, too)
    2. It would be helpful as a motivational tool and to gain further insights into resistance, but most of all as guide for being an artist in our new, highly connected and technical world.
    3. If the War of Art 2.0 could be exactly what I want it would focus on the new world of the professional writer and how the internet, social media and online writing tools have started a revolution in the publishing industry. How amateur authors are becoming professionals with just a few clicks. How social media is changing how we write, edit and review manuscripts. How technology is helping us conquer resistance. You would talk about how you use your web site and your blog to build community and connect directly with your audience. (this is a great example of getting direct feedback from your readers)

If it had three main sections it would talk about 1. The enemy: resistance. 2. The weapons: technology and 3. The revolution: authors going directly to their readers.

It would take the ideas of the original War of Art and bring them into the world of today. It would talk about tribes (Seth Godin), Twitter (Guy Kawasaki), eBooks (iPad, Kindle) and FastPencil (Online writing and publishing).

5. The book should be released in all formats at once (hardcover, paperback, Kindle, ePub, PDF) to show how important it is that readers can access content wherever and in whatever form they want. And to show how online publishing makes creating these formats as easy as clicking a few buttons.

And it would be my honor if you would use FastPencil to write and publish your book. Good luck! I can’t wait to see what you decide! — Mash

50. Jay Trujillo
    February 19, 2010 at 9:30 am

Just write it! Write it for all of us historians, writers, professionals, wannabe professionals and those of us seeking to change careers and pursue our dreams. I enjoyed your book because it reached out in a simple easy to read format. It was not geared for one profession. Most of us are not writers nor do we care to be; however, many of us dream incredible dreams of pursuing new endeavors. After reading your book, I have decided to pursue graduate studies in History on a part time basis. I have always wanted to teach at the college level and by golly, that is what I am planning on doing. I have spent 4 years of my adult life in the Army and the remaining time in private industry. It has been good me; however, I do not love it. Your book is talked me out of my shell. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!