Writing Wednesdays

Writing Wednesdays

High Concept

By Steven Pressfield | Published: April 25, 2012

Flash back with me to the late 80s/early 90s, the screenwriting heyday of Shane Black, Joe Esterhazs and the spec script. At that time, studios were looking for a very specific type of material. That material was called High Concept.

Speed

Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves in "Speed," a classic High-Concept premise

The High Concept era was the exact time I started finding work in Tinseltown. High Concept was what I cut my teeth on. I used to beat my brains out, trying to come up with high concepts.

What exactly is High Concept?

Let’s start with its opposite, low concept. Low concept stories are personal, idiosyncratic, ambiguous, often European.  “Well, it’s a sensitive fable about a Swedish sardine fisherman whose wife and daughter find themselves conflicted over … ”

ZZZZZZZZ.

Low concept can be great. Personally I go to a lot of low concept movies. But low concept is low. High Concept is high.

1. A high concept story can be pitched in 30 seconds or less.

2. A high concept notion doesn’t depend on stars.

3. It’s almost impossible to screw up high concept (though plenty of us did.)

Here are three classic high concept premises:

“Speed.” A criminal rigs a bus full of passengers to explode if the vehicle’s speed drops below 55 mph.  Cop and innocent gal must save bus and passengers.

“Basic Instinct.” Homicide detective finds himself in a torrid love affair with a sexy female suspect who may be the ice-pick murderess he is trying to capture.

“Die-Hard.” Terrorist gang takes hostages in office high-rise after dark, seeking millions from the company’s vault. What the criminals don’t know is that one resourceful cop (whose estranged wife is one of the hostages) is in the building, aiming to stop them (and save his wife.)

Die-Hard

Bruce Willis in "Die-Hard"

The original Terminator was high concept, Jurassic Park was high concept, Rocky was high concept.

In pitching high concept, we don’t have to describe the climax. The climax is obvious. And it’s juicy.

Nor do we need to specify the action set-pieces along the way. They write themselves.

In high concept, premise is everything.

Subtlety? Who needs it?

Depth? R U kidding?

Irony? Fuggedaboutit!

All that being said, I don’t knock high concept. I love high concept.

When high concept ruled, the writer was king. Star scripters raked in big-time dinero. Spec pitches went for six figures.

But what I like about high concept (or, more exactly, thinking in high concept terms) goes deeper than the monetary payoff. It’s that HC thinking forces you, the writer, to boil your idea down to its absolute essence. What is this story about? What’s the beginning, what’s the middle, what’s the end?

Shane, which is a tragedy worthy of the Attic stage, can be HC-ized to this:

Gunfighter seeks to free himself from his past, only to discover that his skill with a six-shooter draws him inexorably back into the world of violence he is trying to escape.

When we as writers think in high concept terms (or simply use HC as a tool in our kit), we construct a story the way an engineer builds a bridge. We plant a powerful foundation on the near shore (the inciting incident), then an equally strong base on the far shore (the climax.) We structure the pair so that the near-shore foundation inexorably propels the story toward the far-shore payoff. Then we erect an exciting, beautiful, well-supported span in between.

What’s wrong with that?

Shakespeare did it. So did Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripides. Dante did it, Milton did it, Trey Parker and Matt Stone do it.

There is nothing cheap or “commercial” or formulaic about a solid premise that propels a story via a powerful throughline to an inevitable, thrilling and satisfying climax.

The trick is to enlist the principles of HC in the service of material that actually has something to say. If you can do that, you’ve got Hamlet, you’ve got The Godfather, you’ve got Louis CK Live at the Beacon.

[P.S. Thanks, friends, for being patient with the slo-o-o-w arrival of Turning Pro. We've run into a few production glitches. We'll have it soon, very soon, I promise!]

Posted in Writing Wednesdays

10 Responses to “High Concept”

1. Reallaw
    April 25, 2012 at 3:54 am

Thanks Steven as always! Giving us tools to make our ideas better. Double thumbs up!! :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G13qTo2o-_U&feature=youtu.be

2. Paul C
    April 25, 2012 at 5:59 am

Another high concept movie from the ’90s is the Clint Eastwood Secret Service movie “In the Line of Fire.” The recent Secret Service scandal reminds me of Clint Eastwood telling the female Secret Service agent Renee Russo that she “needs to get laid.”
    And this:

Frank Horrigan (Clint Eastwood): How’s the First Lady? She ask about me?
    Lilly Raines (Rene Russo): Have you gotten to know them yet?
    Frank Horrigan: Well, I normally prefer not to get to know the people I’m protecting.
    Lilly Raines: Oh, yeah? Why’s that?
    Frank Horrigan: Well, you never know. You might decide they’re not worth taking a bullet for.

3. Jonathan Gilbert
    April 25, 2012 at 6:18 am

Thanks, Steve! As a recovering engineer who used to build bridges, your vision has helped me with a sagging, faltering span that has no foundation on the far shore. HC indeed!

• April 28, 2012 at 9:14 am

HEY Jonathon and all other wobbly Writing Wednesday Warriors! I am nothing but a 53yrold recovering,broke,has been Carpenter,hard struggling,alone*,self destructive liver of life- I will start writing for publication soon- HOWEVER when I get up early and leave it all behind and read a little WW you can beat me with me a stick and I will be NON-too grateful- I learn inspiration,I learn about words, and I learn the long,hard,solitary road we warrior type independent thinkers travel is the road we always wanted to travel-I HAD NO IDEA OF the Real Glory in subduing resistance , follwing dreams, truly getting out of myself,AD INFINITUM! I gotta get Steve,\’ new book!

4. Basilis
    April 25, 2012 at 6:26 am

I’ve never thought it with this terms.
    I suppose that the only way to screw up a HC story is to try to put depth.

5. Mark Lawson
    April 25, 2012 at 8:55 am

Steven! Thank you so much for all your work and Writing Wednesdays in particular. After today’s post I had to leave a comment. I just wanted to share with you that you’ve been a phantom coach for me over the last year and a half. On April 14th (three and a half weeks after the birth of my first child) I finally typed “Fade to Black” on the second draft of my first screenplay. The other ideas are lined up like tin cans ready to be shot off a log. I’m looking forward to devouring and recommending Turning Pro!

Thanks for all you do!

• April 26, 2012 at 8:42 am

Congratulations, Mark – on your first child and your screenplay. I’m not sure which one is harder!

6. April 25, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Steve you may not have intended it but I’m pretty sure you just revolutionized the resume. Holy cow!

7. April 25, 2012 at 1:12 pm

. . . and clarified the difference between the two types of mystery I write: the HCs I bang out for fun, and the LCs I wheedle and nudge to birth because otherwise I’ll cry.

8. April 28, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Tend not to move are living until you have exercised for a simulated profile. James noted him self and also the display to get a months time frame since they reviewed the areas plus signed up with trading right away, supplying a full criticism from the objects the guy was initially considering along with exactly why your dog essential a investments he or she does. There is almost nothing cherry selected. James Edward can be a experienced trader that created mounds last calendar year while he began jogging a number of reside broker teaching lessons.